The Municipal Act, s.224 describes the role of Council as follows:
1. to represent the public and to consider the interests and well-being of the residents and the municipality,
2. to develop and evaluate policies and programs,
3. to decide which services the municipality should provide to its residents that reflect the local needs,
4. to ensure that there are administrative procedures and practices in place necessary to implement the decisions of council,
5. to maintain the financial integrity of the municipality, and
6. to carry out the duties of a council under the Act and any other legislation.
Effective December 1, 2006, the term of office for a municipal council in the Province of Ontario is 4 years.